The parade of fur fashions that sashayed down the runways for the Winter 2017 designer collections were unparalleled. From trims to full-fur garments, accessories to coats, fur for everyplace from head to toe there was, simply, more fur used in more ways than ever before! Designers flexed their creative muscles showcasing the versatility and luxury appeal of fur.
As the winter hit hard and early across the U.S. the parade of fur hit the streets. In cities and towns across American men and women of every age donned fur hats and gloves and scarves, fur-trimmed coats and fur vests and jackets to fight the cold. Proof once again that when it comes to dressing for winter, nothing is warm as fur, as durable as fur or as fashionable as fur.
Now the presentation of fall/winter 2017-2018 collections is upon us. Up and down Seventh Avenue and in the fashion centers of London, Paris and Milan the fur buzz is strong. Once again this season designers are embracing fur and we can expect to see plenty of dramatic, bold and chic stylings of this ultimate luxury fabric.
Stay with us in the coming months as we review the new collections, bring you news of who’s wearing fur, the latest trends and other news for fur lovers. There will be hundreds of new images, dozens of new fur stories.
Versatility of fur
Fur is nature’s wonderful response to winter. And nothing is warmer. As a natural material, fur allows the body to breathe and is isothermal, keeping you comfortable and cozy, no matter the weather.
Soft, sensual and enveloping, nothing compares with the feeling of wearing fur. And with today’s new techniques, furs have never been more versatile or lightweight. In fact many can be worn year-round, rather then just in cold seasons or climates.
The cliche of fur on formal occasions has long been put to rest. Fur now can be worn everywhere. With jeans and ball gowns. Warm on a winter night, enchanting on a summer dress. There is only one rule and that is: create your own style!
Caring for your Fur
- Always store your fur garments in cold storage with Vollbracht Furs when you are done wearing them for the season or not using them. Vollbracht Vault is equipped with temperature, humidity, and light-controlled cold storage facilities to protect your fur, keeping it from drying out, oxidizing and prematurely aging your garment.
- Have your fur cleaned annually by Vollbracht, never a dry cleaner. Your fur may not look dirty but it is important to remove small abrasive dirt particles and chemicals and keep it soft.
- Have small rips or tears repaired immediately by Vollbracht, an Authorized Fur Care Specialist. This will prevent more expensive repairs later.
- Always hang your fur on a broad-shoulder hanger, never a wire hanger. Allow enough space so that your fur is not crushed.
- Never hang your fur in bags of any type. Plastic or rubber-lined bags prevent air from circulating, which can dry out the leather. Bags (even cloth bags) can also cause wear and broken hairs over time where the bag rests against the fur.
- Do not store your fur in a cedar closet. Cedar wood absorbs moisture which can dry your fur out. And cedar closets do not protect from dust, dirt, and insect damage.
- Do not store your fur with moth balls. Moth balls react with moisture in the air to produce a gas that acts as fumigant. This chemical reaction can cause irreparable damage to your fur (not to mention a lingering odor).
- Avoid spraying perfume, hairspray or other chemicals on your fur. The alcohol content in these products will dry the leather and stiffen the guard hairs.
- If your fur gets wet shake it out and hang it to dry in a well-ventilated room. Avoid direct heat or radiators, which can damage both fur and leather. If your fur is soaked through take it immediately to your Authorized Fur Care Specialist for proper treatment.
- One of the beauties of fur is that it can be repaired or remodeled. Vollbracht Furriers can find matching fur and make any repairs – or they can help you remodel it into fresh, new fashion.
Despite its luxurious look and feel, fur is a natural fiber, and hence naturally durable. Because fur is resilient and lasting, it can be recycled, updated and re-styled, time and time again. Take care of your fur and your investment will bring you many years of pleasure.